STISD and Campuses Rank Among the Best in State and Nation in Niche Lists for Third Year in a Row
For the third year in a row, South Texas Independent School District (STISD) and five of its campuses were ranked among the best in the state and nation in the Niche Best K-12 Schools lists.
Recently released, the 2017 K-12 Schools lists grade and rank schools and districts based upon criteria ranging from academics to culture and teachers.
This is the third year in a row that Niche included the district and the five established STISD campuses within these rankings.
This year, South Texas Preparatory Academy (STPA) in Edinburg ranked 2nd in the state out of 1,625, and 18th in the nation out of 15,412 in the Best Public Middle Schools list, and the campus received an A+ overall Niche grade.
All four STISD high schools ranked among the top in the state and nation in the 2017 Best Public High Schools lists. The Science Academy of South Texas (Science Academy) in Mercedes ranked 5th in the state (out of 1,557) and 62nd in the nation (out of 18,793) and received an A+ overall grade. South Texas High School for Health Professions (Med High) in Mercedes ranked 25th in the state and received an A+, while South Texas Academy for Medical Professions (Medical Academy) in Olmito ranked 59th in the state and received an A, and South Texas Business, Education & Technology Academy (BETA) in Edinburg ranked 66th and received an A.
At the district level, STISD was ranked 2nd out of 937 in the Best School Districts in Texas list and 30th out of 10,364 in the nation, and it received an A+ overall Niche grade. The district also ranked 1st out of 700 in the 2017 Best Places to Teach in Texas and 1st out of 697 in the 2017 Districts with the Best Teachers in Texas.
Other notable 2017 Niche rankings for the district and campuses include:
• 2017 Most Diverse School Districts in Texas: STISD ranked 146th out of 636
• 2017 Niche Standout Schools in Texas (public schools that are making a difference in their community; rankings out of 359 total):
- Medical Academy ranked 18th
- Med High ranked 22nd
- BETA ranked 43rd
• 2017 High Schools with the Best Teachers in Texas (out of 1,137 total):
- Science Academy ranked 2nd
- Med High ranked 6th
- Medical Academy ranked 11th
- BETA ranked 15th
• 2017 Best High Schools for STEM in Texas (out of 1,228 total):
- Science Academy ranked 4th
- Med High ranked 44th
- Medical Academy ranked 85th
- BETA ranked 160th
• 2017 College Readiness Ranking in Texas (out of 1,497 total):
- Science Academy ranked 20th
- Med High ranked 114th
- Medical Academy ranked 211th
- BETA ranked 212th
• 2017 Best Magnet High Schools in Texas (out of 36 total):
- Science Academy ranked 4th
- Med High ranked 8th
- Medical Academy ranked 12th
• 2017 Most Diverse Public High Schools in Texas (out of 1,068 total):
- Science Academy ranked 248th
- Med High ranked 265th
- Medical Academy ranked 891st
• 2017 Most Diverse Middle Schools in Texas: STPA ranked 891st out of 1,656
• 2017 Middle Schools with the Best Teachers: STPA ranked 1st in the state (out of 1,573) and 4th in the nation (out of 15,093);
According to the company website, Niche has the most comprehensive data on U.S. schools and neighborhoods. The company rigorously analyzes dozens of public data sets and over 100 million reviews and survey responses to help people understand what a place is really like.
Additional information on the methodology used for the grading and ranking is available on the Niche website here: https://k12.niche.com/rankings/methodology/.
Marla M. Guerra, Ed.D., superintendent of schools for STISD, was excited to see the district and campuses ranked within the Niche lists for the third year in a row. “We are proud of our inclusion among the best K-12 schools in the state and nation in the 2017 Niche rankings. Our STISD community strives every day to provide our students with a challenging and supportive environment and academic experience, and seeing these rankings, which take into account personal reviews from our own students and parents, reflects our successes in these efforts.”
South Texas Independent School District (STISD) serves junior high and high school students who live along the southernmost tip of Texas, the region known as the Rio Grande Valley. The district stretches over three counties – Cameron, Hidalgo and Willacy. The only all-magnet school district in the state, STISD offers Valley students an educational alternative. STISD schools provide a personal environment, a strong scholastic program and hands-on training in various professional career fields.
Enrollment for the 2017-2018 school year for all STISD campuses begins on Saturday, Jan. 14, 2017.
For more information, call 1-800-21STUDY.